Government Incorporates the National Oil Company (NOC)
Government of Uganda has concluded the process of incorporating the Uganda National Oil Company Limited. The company which was registered at the end of June 2015 is now a legal entity.
The Petroleum Exploration, Development and Production Act 2013 provides for the establishment of a National Oil Company incorporated, under the Companies Act. The Act also provides that the National Oil Company shall be wholly owned by the State to manage Uganda's commercial aspects of petroleum activities and the participating interests of the State in the petroleum agreements.
Dr. Kabagambe Kaliisa, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development says that the incorporation of the National Oil Company is a legal requirement and the company will be responsible for government’s commercial interests in the oil and gas industry. He adds that through the National Oil Company, government can now participate in the oil industry hence significantly enhancing national content in the country’s oil and gas sector.
“Now that we have incorporated the National Oil Company, Government is set to take up its position on the business side of the oil and gas industry” said Dr. Kabagambe Kaliisa.
The Production Sharing Agreements that government entered into with the licensed oil companies provide for government’s participation through a carried interest of up to 15%. The licensed Oil Companies carry this interest for government during the exploration and development phases of the petroleum value chain. This carry ends upon commencement of production when Government starts to take full care of its interests through the National Oil Company.
The National Oil Company is also expected to handle government’s interests in the refinery through a subsidiary. The state will hold a 40 percent share in the oil refinery which is planned to be built on a Public Private Partnership.
Members to the Board of Directors of the National Oil Company were nominated by the President and approved by Parliament during 2014. Incorporation of the company now paves the way for formal appointment of the board members.
For more information contact:
Gloria Sebikari, Senior communications officer
- The 8th East African Petroleum Conference and Exhibition, March 2017, Bujumbura, Burundi
- Government of Uganda Issues Five (5) Petroleum Production Licences to Tullow Uganda Operations Pty Limited and Three (3) Petroleum Production Licences to Total Uganda B.V.
- Appointment of Executive Director for the Petroleum Authority of Uganda
- Bidders invited to negotiate Production Sharing Agreements in Uganda’s first competitive licensing round
- Joint Statement on the Second Ministerial Meeting on Uganda - Tanzania Crude Oil Export Pipeline Development
- Government suspends negotiations with Rostec Global Resources (RTGR) Consortium for the role of Lead Investor for the Uganda Refinery Project and draws the Bid Bond.
- Uganda and Tanzania agree on the Implementation Plan for the Hoima-Tanga Crude Oil Pipeline
- Government of Uganda receives seven bidders for the First Licensing Round
- Government of Uganda Holds Bidder’s Conference for the 1st Licensing Round for Petroleum Exploration, Development and Production
- Government of Uganda signs MoU with Government of Tanzania, Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation and Total E&P Uganda on crude oil export pipeline framework
- Government of Uganda issues bid document under the licensing round for petroleum exploration, development and production blocks in Uganda
- Energy Week is round the corner
- Government Shortlists 16 firms in Uganda’s First Petroleum Licensing Round
- Uganda’s Licensing Round Applicants Represent Right Blend of Oil Companies.
- Government Incorporates the National Oil Company (NOC)
- Progress of Implementation of the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda, December 2015
- Call for Comments on Draft Uganda Standards on Petroleum Refining and Transportation
- Uganda’s Oil Projects Still Attractive for Investment Amidst Falling Oil Prices
- Closure of the Application for Qualification of the Licensing Round for Petroleum Exploration, Development and Production Blocks in Uganda
- Road Show for Uganda’s First Licensing Round for Petroleum Exploration, Development and Production
- Extension of Deadline for Submission of Applications for Qualification for Uganda's First Petroleum Licensing Round
- Promotional Events for Uganda’s First Licensing Round for Petroleum Exploration, 2015
- Government issues bid Notice for the Sale of Accumulated Test Crude
- Government Announces First Petroleum Exploration Licensing Round in Uganda
- RT Global Resources emerges Selected Preferred Bidder in Uganda's Refinery Project
- Cabinet Approves First open Licensing Round for Petroleum Exploration in Uganda
- Government issues Request for Final Offer for Lead Investor for Uganda’s Refinery Project
- Uganda’s petroleum resources increase to 6.5 billion barrels oil in place
- Uganda blessed with oil and minerals - Interview with Minister of Energy and Mineral Development
- Uganda’s Refinery Project Tender Progresses to the Negotiations Phase