The Mandate of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) is:
To promote the development, strategically manage and safeguard the rational and sustainable exploitation and utilization of energy and mineral resources for social and economic development.
The Role of the Petroleum Exploration and Production Department (PEPD) is:
To establish the petroleum potential of the country and promote it.
This is guided by:
3. Other relevant statutes and guidelines such as Environment , Wildlife, Water, Income Tax, land, among others
4. Petroleum (Exploration and production) (Conduct of Exploration Operations) Regulations, 1993. New Petroleum Regulations expected in 2014 to address Exploration, Development, Production, Refining, Transportation, Health Safety and Environment (HSE), National Content (NC), among others
5. Production Sharing Agreements (PSA’s)
6. Formulation of a Bill for the management of petroleum revenue (The Public Finance Bill) and the Bill was passed by Parliament and awaits presidential assent.
Main Functions of PEPD
- Acquire process and interpret geophysical, geological and geochemical data with a view of assessing the country's petroleum potential
- Promotion of petroleum exploration in the country
- Monitor and regulate licensees undertaking petroleum exploration and production in the country
- Initiate Policy and Legislation on petroleum exploration and development
- Build national capacity in the field of petroleum exploration and development
- Lead the implementation of the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda, 2008
- Joint Statement on the Second Ministerial Meeting on Uganda - Tanzania Crude Oil Export Pipeline Development
- Government suspends negotiations with Rostec Global Resources (RTGR) Consortium for the role of Lead Investor for the Uganda Refinery Project and draws the Bid Bond.
- Uganda and Tanzania agree on the Implementation Plan for the Hoima-Tanga Crude Oil Pipeline
- Government of Uganda receives seven bidders for the First Licensing Round
- Government of Uganda Holds Bidder’s Conference for the 1st Licensing Round for Petroleum Exploration, Development and Production
- Government of Uganda signs MoU with Government of Tanzania, Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation and Total E&P Uganda on crude oil export pipeline framework
- Government of Uganda issues bid document under the licensing round for petroleum exploration, development and production blocks in Uganda